Sunday, December 9, 2012

“The awesome generosity of God”





     It seems to be impossible for me to give without receiving repayment.  One example I will never forget happened in the late eighties.  I was carving detailed birds and ducks and a friend of my daughters asked me if I would carve her a duck and her pay for it a little out of each payday until she got it paid for.  She wanted it for her boyfriend.  Naturally I said that she could take her pick and pay whenever it was convenient and to take it now to give him for Christmas.  I received a check by mail every week.
      Several months later I was home and alone and got hungry.  I hit the fridge and the pantry and not a thing to snack.  I went to IGA and picked up a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread.  When I went to pay the cashier I only had fifteen dollars to my name.  I paid for them and left the store when gentleman approached and said he was traveling with his family and had had trouble and they were broke and hungry and could I spare fifteen dollars to buy food for his family.  Intuition compelled me to give him what was left of the fifteen I had and explained I had no more.  He was not a bum I am sure.  Later I hated it when I realized that the restaurant was open and I could have taken them there for a meal.  Also it never crossed my mind to go back in the store and get what they needed for I know they would have trusted me until the next day.
     When I got home there was an envelope taped to the patio door.  When I opened it there was a check from the young lady who bought her sweetheart the duck.  There was a sweet note thanking me for trusting her and the last payment for thirty dollars.  It seems she had lost her job and just went back to work. I thought she had paid it off a long time past for I did not keep up with what she owed.  This was twice, not what I gave the man, but twice what he had asked for.  This type of thing has happened all my life and I have found that for whatever he ask he will return two times or more.  My G_d is awesome for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment